Acorn Squash Cakes
- Combine squash and milk in a heavy small saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and add bean. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the squash is very tender for about 20 minutes. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Drain the squash and place in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray six-cup ramekins with nonstick spray.
- Place 1/2 cup of the squash puree in a large bowl. Add organic brown sugar, oil, cider and the egg to puree and beat to blend. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt beat to blend until just mixed. Stir in nuts or ginger if desired. Divide the batter among prepared ramekins.
- Bake the cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.
- Cool cakes in the ramekins. Turn out onto plates. Dust with organic powdered sugar.
Recipe Source – Will Goldfarb
- 2 cups fall squash – acorn, butternut, sugar pumpkin, or kabocha – peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup whole organic milk
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2/3 cup Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sparkling apple cider, lager beer, or ginger ale
- 1 large cage-free organic egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Wholesome Organic Powdered Sugar for garnish
- Chopped walnuts or finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional add-ins)