Addicting Caramel Apple Crisp Bars
Content from Pinch of Yum has been featured on sites like Huffington Post, Buzzfeed, MSN, Today, the Kitchn, SHAPE, Smart Passive Income, Mixergy, and more. Lindsay's favorite things in life are photography, sunny days, Sage the dog, and a big plate of Pad Thai.
- Crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Beat the butter and organic brown sugar with electric mixers until creamy. Add the cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and flour. The mixture should be crumbly. Set aside one cup of the mixture; press the rest into a 9×13 baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Filling: Quarter the apples and scoop out seeds/core. Slice the apple quarters with a mandoline slicer to get ultra paper thin slices (or slice by hand, cutting as thin as possible). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the organic brown sugar; when the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is JUST about to start bubbling, add the cream and stir until a creamy sauce forms. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Assembly: When the crust is done, arrange the apples in an even layer over the crust and pour the caramel over the top. Sprinkle with remaining crust crumbles from step one. Sprinkle with organic turbinado sugar for sparkle and crunch. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven, lift out of the pan using the edges of the parchment paper, and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut and serve.
NOTES: When measuring the flour, I usually just scoop my measuring cup right into the bag. If you are normally more precise with the spoon-measuring, you might need a little more flour to make up for the difference. Just look at the texture – if the dough forms crumbles, you’re good.
Yields: 12 large bars or 16-18 small bars
Recipe Source: Lindsay Ostrom of Pinch of Yum
- For the Crust
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups flour (see notes)
- For the Filling
- 4 small apples
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cream or half and half
- ¼ cup Wholesome Organic Turbinado Raw Cane Sugar