Agave, Cranberry & Walnut Scones
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silpat for easier cleanup.
- Sift together the flour, wheat germ or rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add the butter and cut into the flour using your hands or 2 forks till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the agave, cream and orange zest. Pour 2/3 of the liquid into the well, add cranberries and walnuts. Using a plastic dough divider or the edge of a metal spatula, turn and cut the dough, gradually adding the remaining liquid until the mixture comes together into a soft, sticky dough. Flour your hands and gently knead the dough to form a ball. Add a tbsp or two more flour if necessary but the dough should be slightly sticky.
- Pat the dough out on the prepared baking sheet to make an 8 inch circle about 3/4 inch thick. Brush with additional cream for a shinier appearance. Cut the dough into eight equal pie shape wedges and gently lift them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until the edges of the scones are lightly browned, about 15 to 18 minutes .
- 1 2/3 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp organic unsalted butter cold and cut into bits
- 1/2 Wholesome! Organic Blue Agave
- 1/3 cup organic cream
- Zest of one organic orange
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- Organic cream for glazing