- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter a jelly roll pan or 9-inch springform pan. Divide the almonds into two batches.
- In a food processor or in a blender, pulse half the almonds and 2 tbsp of the whole wheat pastry flour until finely ground into a meal. Repeat with the remaining almonds and another 2 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the remaining whole wheat pastry flour and the unbleached flour, whisk to combine.
- Using a standing mixer or a handheld mixer, beat the butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the organic sugar and beat until the mixture is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Using the paddle attachment, fold the flour mixture in gently to form a stiff dough do not over-mix.
- Press the dough evenly and firmly into the prepared pan. Use a fork to make the dough into 8 equal pieces.Lightly dust with extra sugar crystals if desired.
- Bake until the edges are lightly browned and begin to shrink from the sides of the pan, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a wire cake rack for 5 minutes and remove the sides of the pan. Cut through the markings with a thin, sharp knife and divide into 8 equal pieces. Cool completely.