Marilu Henner, internationally acclaimed actress, author of seven successful healthy lifestyle and cookery books and the founder of Total Health Makeover (a complete, easy-to-follow life plan that will change the way you look and feel, inside and out) is a devoted advocate of Wholesome!Organic Sucanat.
Sucanat (Sugar Cane Natural) retains the taste and nutrients of sugar cane and is produced without the use of any herbicides, pesticides or chemicals. Sucanat is simply whole cane juice that has been rapidly evaporated and hand-paddled to create a dry, porous, free-flowing organic brown sugar. Sucanat contains 13% molasses and 87% sucrose so it is slightlylower on the glycemic index than regular sugar.
Marilu has been using the gloriously rich Sucanat, which she calls a "legal sugar" for 20 years and it stars in all seven of her recipe books. Marilu's fanstastic brownie recipe from her book PARTY HEARTY, is a must-try and easy to follow recipe.
Marilu traveled to Costa Rica with her co-author and brother, Lorin Henner, and a group of like-minded food enthusiasts to witness first-hand how the Organic Sucanat is produced and to understand why it is fabled as "the World's Healthiest Sugar".
In 2006, Marilu served as the master of ceremonies for Wholesome!' Distinguished Women in Wine Luncheon at Fort Bend County's The Grand Wine and Food Affair.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, margarine, egg (or egg replacement), 1 cup of Sucanat and vanilla. Mix well with a pastry blender or hand mixer until it resembles small crumbs.
- Press the mixture into the pan.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the 1/3 cup Sucanat and cinnamon.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine and drizzle it over the apple mixture. Toss until well combined.
- Spread the apple mixture evenly over the crust with a spatula. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until the fruit bubbles. Cut into bars while still warm.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 stick soy margarine (or butter)
- 1 cup Wholesome! Fair Trade Organic Sucanat
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 cage-free organic egg or 1 egg’s worth of egg replacement
- 4-5 organic apples – peeled cored and sliced thin
- 1/3 cup Wholesome! Fair Trade Organic Sucanat
- 1 tsp cinnamon 2 1/2 tbsp soy margarine (or butter)