Marilu Henner, internationally acclaimed actress, author of seven successful healthy lifestyle and cookery books and the founder of Total Health Makeover (a complete, easy-to-follow life plan that will change the way you look and feel, inside and out) is a devoted advocate of Wholesome!Organic Sucanat.
Sucanat (Sugar Cane Natural) retains the taste and nutrients of sugar cane and is produced without the use of any herbicides, pesticides or chemicals. Sucanat is simply whole cane juice that has been rapidly evaporated and hand-paddled to create a dry, porous, free-flowing organic brown sugar. Sucanat contains 13% molasses and 87% sucrose so it is slightlylower on the glycemic index than regular sugar.
Marilu has been using the gloriously rich Sucanat, which she calls a "legal sugar" for 20 years and it stars in all seven of her recipe books. Marilu's fanstastic brownie recipe from her book PARTY HEARTY, is a must-try and easy to follow recipe.
Marilu traveled to Costa Rica with her co-author and brother, Lorin Henner, and a group of like-minded food enthusiasts to witness first-hand how the Organic Sucanat is produced and to understand why it is fabled as "the World's Healthiest Sugar".
In 2006, Marilu served as the master of ceremonies for Wholesome!' Distinguished Women in Wine Luncheon at Fort Bend County's The Grand Wine and Food Affair.
Apple Crisp with Macadamia Nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine the flour, Organic Sucanat, Organic Turbinado, chopped nuts and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cut in the soy margarine with a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
- Place the apple slices in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Drop the preserves by teaspoonfuls on top and sprinkle evenly with the flour mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Wholesome! Organic Sucanat
- 2 tbsp Wholesome! Organic Turbinado
- 2 tbsp chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp chilled soy margarine
- 5 cups peeled thinly sliced organic apples
- 2 tbsp low sugar apricot preserves