- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Cut in half and then into 1/2″-thick slices.
- Add 2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar to a small bowl of water.
- Dip the apples into the water, drain and set aside.
- Bring the butter, honey, and cinnamon to a boil in a small, nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and slowly stir in the cream, then add the lemon zest. (It may bubble and sputter, so be careful.)
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- While the honey caramel sauce is cooling, arrange the apple slices in a decorative pattern over the tart crust, trimming the exposed slices to suit your whim.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the apples and place in the oven.
- After 12 minutes, lower the heat to 350°F without opening the oven and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place under the broiler for 1 or 2 minutes, watching carefully, for an even deeper caramelized look.
- Cool briefly and serve.