Carol is a professional recipe developer, television chef, freelance writer and cookbook author. She cooks. She writes. She travels. And she does it all gluten-free!
When it comes to food she believe the most important thing is for it to taste great. Her recipes are not just good for gluten-free they are just plain good! Period!
She needed to be able to prepare meals that everyone would enjoy. It was then she decided to look at the world of food not in terms of what she couldnt eat but what she COULD EAT. She discovered a whole beautiful, abundant world of gluten-free food. She started to create dishes that would not only keep her body from being ill but that were delicious and aesthetic as well.
After she found out that she as gluten-intolerant, she was taken aback. Thus her new food philosophy was born. Find and enjoy foods that are naturally gluten-free. She loves the challenge of discovering how to re-invent old favorites and creating new ones gluten-free.
Carol writes SimplyGluten-free, a gluten-free blog to share, teach and inspire.Celebrating the ABUNDANCE of gluten-free living!
Baked Gluten-Free Honey Lemon Donuts
For the Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 2 donut pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little almond flour.
- In the food processor, combine the almond flour, baking soda and salt. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the remaining donut ingredients and process until the batter is smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Divide the batter evenly among the donut indentations, smooth the tops and bake for 10 minutes or until they spring back when touched lightly. Do not overcook the donuts or they will be dry. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
For the Frosting:
- Combine the shortening, honey, lemon juice and zest in a medium mixing bowl and beat with a hand beater until smooth and fluffy. Your mixture may become curdled looking, if so just keep beating until it is smooth.
- Frost cooled donuts.
- For the Gluten-Free Donuts:
- Gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- 2 ½ cups finely ground blanched almond flour plus more for preparing the pans
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons Wholesome! Organic Honey
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup grapeseed (or other neutral tasting) oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For the Honey Lemon Frosting:
- 2/3 cup pure vegetable shortening
- 4 tbsp Wholesome! Organic Raw Honey
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated