Chocolate and Vanilla Summer Layer Cake
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth and combined.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; fold into butter mixture and stir to combine. Divide batter into three greased and parchment paper–lined 8-inch round pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool completely on rack.
- Spread 1 cup frosting onto one cake round. Top with 1/3 cup each strawberries, raspberries and cherries. Repeat layers. Top with final cake round and spread with remaining frosting. Top with remaining strawberries, raspberries and cherries. Garnish with chocolate curls (if using).
- Cake rounds can be made in advance and frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw and assemble before serving.
- For those extreme chocolate lovers, use Wholesome Organic Chocolate Frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 jars (12.5 oz each) Wholesome Organic Vanilla Frosting
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- Chocolate curls (optional)