Marilu Henner, internationally acclaimed actress, author of seven successful healthy lifestyle and cookery books and the founder of Total Health Makeover (a complete, easy-to-follow life plan that will change the way you look and feel, inside and out) is a devoted advocate of Wholesome!Organic Sucanat.
Sucanat (Sugar Cane Natural) retains the taste and nutrients of sugar cane and is produced without the use of any herbicides, pesticides or chemicals. Sucanat is simply whole cane juice that has been rapidly evaporated and hand-paddled to create a dry, porous, free-flowing organic brown sugar. Sucanat contains 13% molasses and 87% sucrose so it is slightlylower on the glycemic index than regular sugar.
Marilu has been using the gloriously rich Sucanat, which she calls a "legal sugar" for 20 years and it stars in all seven of her recipe books. Marilu's fanstastic brownie recipe from her book PARTY HEARTY, is a must-try and easy to follow recipe.
Marilu traveled to Costa Rica with her co-author and brother, Lorin Henner, and a group of like-minded food enthusiasts to witness first-hand how the Organic Sucanat is produced and to understand why it is fabled as "the World's Healthiest Sugar".
In 2006, Marilu served as the master of ceremonies for Wholesome!' Distinguished Women in Wine Luncheon at Fort Bend County's The Grand Wine and Food Affair.
Cupid Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease and flour an 8-inch-square cake pan.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and Organic Sucanat until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well. Sift the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder over the butter mixture and stir until combined. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack, chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, and cut into squares.
- To make the glaze, in small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips in the soy cream, stirring until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Pour the glaze over the cake and refrigerate to set.
- 2 sticks soy butter, softened
- 1 cup Wholesome! Organic Sucanat
- 6 large cage-free organic eggs
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- For the glaze:
- 9 oz Fair Trade chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup soy cream