Gluten Free Banana Cream Pie
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs well.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with ½ cup milk.
- In a large saucepan, mix the remaining milk with the half-and-half, sugar and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil. Gradually pour about ¼ of the hot mixture into the eggs and whisk well. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan along with the cornstarch mixture, lower the heat to medium-low, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of pudding, about 1 minute. Take the mixture off the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Push the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean bowl.
- Peel the bananas and slice them diagonally in about ¼ inch slices. Reserve a few slices for garnish and layer the rest into the bottom of the cooled pie shell. Pour the pudding over the top, smooth with a spatula, let cool, and then refrigerate until cold and firm, about 4 hours.
Make the topping:
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top of the pie, garnish with banana slices, and serve.
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 medium bananas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract