Carol is a professional recipe developer, television chef, freelance writer and cookbook author. She cooks. She writes. She travels. And she does it all gluten-free!
When it comes to food she believe the most important thing is for it to taste great. Her recipes are not just good for gluten-free they are just plain good! Period!
She needed to be able to prepare meals that everyone would enjoy. It was then she decided to look at the world of food not in terms of what she couldnt eat but what she COULD EAT. She discovered a whole beautiful, abundant world of gluten-free food. She started to create dishes that would not only keep her body from being ill but that were delicious and aesthetic as well.
After she found out that she as gluten-intolerant, she was taken aback. Thus her new food philosophy was born. Find and enjoy foods that are naturally gluten-free. She loves the challenge of discovering how to re-invent old favorites and creating new ones gluten-free.
Carol writes SimplyGluten-free, a gluten-free blog to share, teach and inspire.Celebrating the ABUNDANCE of gluten-free living!
Gluten Free Cup of Coffee Cake
- Melt ½ teaspoon butter in a microwave-safe mug for about 30 seconds on high power. Swirl the mug so it gets coated with butter.
- Add the 6 tablespoons almond flour, 2 tablespoons Wholesome Organic Coconut Sugar, almond milk, egg, vanilla, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Mix well. Add the apple and mix in.
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons almond flour with 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon salt, if using.
- Smash the mixture together with a fork or your fingers until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of the cake. Top with nuts.
- Microwave on high power for 1 minute, then continue microwaving at 10 second intervals until the cake has risen and set – it takes 1 minute 40 seconds in my microwave. Serve warm.
Yields: 1 Serving
- For the Cake:
- ½ tablespoon butter or dairy free butter substitute
- 6 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons Wholesome! Organic Coconut Palm Sugar (or Organic Light Brown Sugar)
- 2 tablespoons almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ¼ apple, peeled, cored, and diced (about ¼ cup diced)
- For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon Wholesome Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts or other nut of choice