Carol is a professional recipe developer, television chef, freelance writer and cookbook author. She cooks. She writes. She travels. And she does it all gluten-free!
When it comes to food she believe the most important thing is for it to taste great. Her recipes are not just good for gluten-free they are just plain good! Period!
She needed to be able to prepare meals that everyone would enjoy. It was then she decided to look at the world of food not in terms of what she couldnt eat but what she COULD EAT. She discovered a whole beautiful, abundant world of gluten-free food. She started to create dishes that would not only keep her body from being ill but that were delicious and aesthetic as well.
After she found out that she as gluten-intolerant, she was taken aback. Thus her new food philosophy was born. Find and enjoy foods that are naturally gluten-free. She loves the challenge of discovering how to re-invent old favorites and creating new ones gluten-free.
Carol writes SimplyGluten-free, a gluten-free blog to share, teach and inspire.Celebrating the ABUNDANCE of gluten-free living!
Gluten-Free Ginger Honey Almond Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit and lightly spray the paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey and ginger and bring to a low simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. When cooled, remove and discard the ginger.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the egg yolks, vanilla, salt, and baking soda, and ½ cup of the cooled ginger honey. Beat at high speed for 5 minutes or until light yellow and fluffy. Beat in the almond flour until combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to make sure everything is fully combined.
- In a clean bowl with clean beaters, combine the egg whites with the cream of tartar. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the almond mixture, stirring well to incorporate. Gently fold in half the remaining egg whites, being careful not to deflate the whites. Repeat with the remaining egg whites.
- Pour into the prepared pan and scatter the sliced almonds on top. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Immediately brush the top of the cake with the remaining ginger honey. Let the cake cool completely in the pan then remove the outer ring of the springform pan.
Servings: 8-10 people
- Gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp Wholesome! Organic Honey
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 large cage-free, organic eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 cups gluten free blanched almond flour
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup sliced almonds