Carol is a professional recipe developer, television chef, freelance writer and cookbook author. She cooks. She writes. She travels. And she does it all gluten-free!
When it comes to food she believe the most important thing is for it to taste great. Her recipes are not just good for gluten-free they are just plain good! Period!
She needed to be able to prepare meals that everyone would enjoy. It was then she decided to look at the world of food not in terms of what she couldnt eat but what she COULD EAT. She discovered a whole beautiful, abundant world of gluten-free food. She started to create dishes that would not only keep her body from being ill but that were delicious and aesthetic as well.
After she found out that she as gluten-intolerant, she was taken aback. Thus her new food philosophy was born. Find and enjoy foods that are naturally gluten-free. She loves the challenge of discovering how to re-invent old favorites and creating new ones gluten-free.
Carol writes SimplyGluten-free, a gluten-free blog to share, teach and inspire.Celebrating the ABUNDANCE of gluten-free living!
Gluten Free Jelly Bean Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray 2 (6-count) doughnut pans with cooking spray. Place a wire cooling rack over a piece of waxed paper.
- Chop 1 bag of Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans with a sharp, heavy knife or chop them in a small food processor. Spread them out on a cutting board to dry out a little while you prepare and bake the doughnuts.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Add the milk, organic cane sugar, oil, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla and whisk until it forms a thick batter. Divide the batter among the doughnut pans, filling about half way. I find it easiest to put the batter into a food storage bag, snip off the tip, and pipe the batter into the doughnut holes. Press 10 jelly beans into the batter of each doughnut, keeping them away from the edges.
- Bake for 7 – 9 minutes or until golden brown. Run a knife around the edges of each doughnut and let cool in the pan for 2 – 3 minutes before transferring to the wire cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Put the Organic Powdered Sugar in a mixing bowl with the vanilla and melted butter. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and stir until it reaches a thick but pourable consistency. Add a drop or two of the food coloring. Drizzle the frosting over the doughnuts and sprinkle on the chopped Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans. Let the frosting set for about 10 minutes before serving. Makes 12 donuts.
- Gluten free nonstick cooking spray
- 3 (2.75-ounce) bags Surf Sweets Organic Jelly Beans, divided use
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ cup milk or dairy free milk
- 1/3 cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 6 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 large cage free organic egg
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
- 2 cups Wholesome Organic Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or dairy free butter
- 2 – 4 tablespoons milk or dairy free milk
- Color Kitchen natural food color