Carol is a professional recipe developer, television chef, freelance writer and cookbook author. She cooks. She writes. She travels. And she does it all gluten-free!
When it comes to food she believe the most important thing is for it to taste great. Her recipes are not just good for gluten-free they are just plain good! Period!
She needed to be able to prepare meals that everyone would enjoy. It was then she decided to look at the world of food not in terms of what she couldnt eat but what she COULD EAT. She discovered a whole beautiful, abundant world of gluten-free food. She started to create dishes that would not only keep her body from being ill but that were delicious and aesthetic as well.
After she found out that she as gluten-intolerant, she was taken aback. Thus her new food philosophy was born. Find and enjoy foods that are naturally gluten-free. She loves the challenge of discovering how to re-invent old favorites and creating new ones gluten-free.
Carol writes SimplyGluten-free, a gluten-free blog to share, teach and inspire.Celebrating the ABUNDANCE of gluten-free living!
Gluten Free Persimmon Bread
Make the bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray then line with parchment paper then spray the paper lightly with more cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine the persimmon pulp, Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar, melted butter, apple cider, eggs, and vanilla. Stir to combine then add to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Then add the chopped nuts and dried cranberries, stir, and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes then place on a wire rack over a piece of waxed or parchment paper. Let cool completely.
Make the glaze:
- Combine the butter, salt, and Wholesome Organic Pancake Syrup or maple syrup in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the butter melts.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in Wholesome Organic Powdered Sugar. Allow to cool and thicken then drizzle over the cooled persimmon bread.
- gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- 1¾ cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 ¼ cup persimmon pulp (from about 4 – 5 persimmons)
- 1 ½ cups Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 large cage-free eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup Wholesome Organic Pancake Syrup or maple syrup
- 1 cup Wholesome Organic Powdered Sugar