Carol is a professional recipe developer, television chef, freelance writer and cookbook author. She cooks. She writes. She travels. And she does it all gluten-free!
When it comes to food she believe the most important thing is for it to taste great. Her recipes are not just good for gluten-free they are just plain good! Period!
She needed to be able to prepare meals that everyone would enjoy. It was then she decided to look at the world of food not in terms of what she couldnt eat but what she COULD EAT. She discovered a whole beautiful, abundant world of gluten-free food. She started to create dishes that would not only keep her body from being ill but that were delicious and aesthetic as well.
After she found out that she as gluten-intolerant, she was taken aback. Thus her new food philosophy was born. Find and enjoy foods that are naturally gluten-free. She loves the challenge of discovering how to re-invent old favorites and creating new ones gluten-free.
Carol writes SimplyGluten-free, a gluten-free blog to share, teach and inspire.Celebrating the ABUNDANCE of gluten-free living!
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Meringue Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a pot of salted cold water. Bring to a boil and let boil for 5-10 minutes or until very tender. Drain the sweet potatoes and place them in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Puree until smooth. Add the organic brown sugar, eggs, half-and-half, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Process until fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake for 45 minutes or until the filling looks set. Let the pie cool, then refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- Preheat the broiler to high and position an oven rack in the top third of the oven.
- Beat the egg whites on high speed until frothy. Gradually add the organic sugar while beating and whip until stiff peaks form. Top the chilled pie with the meringue, spreading it all the way to the edges. With a spatula or back of a spoon, make swirls in the meringue.
- Broil, turning once, for 60-90 seconds or until the meringue starts to brown.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher or fine sea salt
- ½ cup Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 3 large cage free eggs
- 1/3 cup half-and-half, heavy cream, or full-fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy free butter substitute, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (9-inch) gluten free pie crust, unbaked
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar