Italian Braided Easter Bread
- Mix 1 cup of flour with organic sugar, salt, and yeast in a bowl, stir well.
- Place milk and anise extract into a small saucepan over low heat, and gently warm. Do not boil.
- Carefully pour in the warm milk into the center of the flour mixture. With your hands, carefully blend the flour mixture with the milk mixture. Mix in butter and eggs, one at a time, then mix in remaining 2 cups of flour until well combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and knead until soft but elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth, and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Separate dough into equal thirds. On floured work surface, roll each third into a ball. Shape the balls into 3 long pieces, about 1 inch thick and about 16-18 inches long. Pinch the 3 top ends together and loosely braid the pieces. Form the braided dough into a ring, and pinch the ends together to close.
- Grease a baking sheet. Place the ring onto the prepared sheet, and cover with a damp towel; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake bread ring in the preheated oven until golden, 20 – 25 minutes. Do not burn.
- Carefully transfer to wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.
For Glaze Topping: Mix together organic powdered sugar, orange juice and zest. Once the bread has cooled down a bit, carefully pour glaze over the bread and immediately top with colorful candy sprinkles.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided use
- ¼ cup Wholesome! Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 (.25 oz) package rapid rise yeast
- 2/3 cup organic milk
- 1 tsp anise extract
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 cage-free organic eggs
- 1 ½ cup Wholesome! Organic Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp organic orange juice
- 1/3 tsp orange zest
- 1-2 tbsp colorful rainbow candy sprinkles