Marilu Henner, internationally acclaimed actress, author of seven successful healthy lifestyle and cookery books and the founder of Total Health Makeover (a complete, easy-to-follow life plan that will change the way you look and feel, inside and out) is a devoted advocate of Wholesome!Organic Sucanat.
Sucanat (Sugar Cane Natural) retains the taste and nutrients of sugar cane and is produced without the use of any herbicides, pesticides or chemicals. Sucanat is simply whole cane juice that has been rapidly evaporated and hand-paddled to create a dry, porous, free-flowing organic brown sugar. Sucanat contains 13% molasses and 87% sucrose so it is slightlylower on the glycemic index than regular sugar.
Marilu has been using the gloriously rich Sucanat, which she calls a "legal sugar" for 20 years and it stars in all seven of her recipe books. Marilu's fanstastic brownie recipe from her book PARTY HEARTY, is a must-try and easy to follow recipe.
Marilu traveled to Costa Rica with her co-author and brother, Lorin Henner, and a group of like-minded food enthusiasts to witness first-hand how the Organic Sucanat is produced and to understand why it is fabled as "the World's Healthiest Sugar".
In 2006, Marilu served as the master of ceremonies for Wholesome!' Distinguished Women in Wine Luncheon at Fort Bend County's The Grand Wine and Food Affair.
Japanese Chicken Salad
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 2 cups water and the bouillon cubes and stir until the cubes dissolve.
- Add the chicken and ginger and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Cool the chicken in the broth, discard the broth.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the Sucanat, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, noodles, onions, almonds and sesame seeds.
- Add the chicken and dressing, tossing to coat.
- Serve immediately.
- 2 organic chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 2-inch piece organic ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup Wholesome! Organic Sucanat
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 cups torn organic romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 1/3 cup sliced organic green onions
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp toasted organic sesame seeds