Marilu Henner, internationally acclaimed actress, author of seven successful healthy lifestyle and cookery books and the founder of Total Health Makeover (a complete, easy-to-follow life plan that will change the way you look and feel, inside and out) is a devoted advocate of Wholesome!Organic Sucanat.
Sucanat (Sugar Cane Natural) retains the taste and nutrients of sugar cane and is produced without the use of any herbicides, pesticides or chemicals. Sucanat is simply whole cane juice that has been rapidly evaporated and hand-paddled to create a dry, porous, free-flowing organic brown sugar. Sucanat contains 13% molasses and 87% sucrose so it is slightlylower on the glycemic index than regular sugar.
Marilu has been using the gloriously rich Sucanat, which she calls a "legal sugar" for 20 years and it stars in all seven of her recipe books. Marilu's fanstastic brownie recipe from her book PARTY HEARTY, is a must-try and easy to follow recipe.
Marilu traveled to Costa Rica with her co-author and brother, Lorin Henner, and a group of like-minded food enthusiasts to witness first-hand how the Organic Sucanat is produced and to understand why it is fabled as "the World's Healthiest Sugar".
In 2006, Marilu served as the master of ceremonies for Wholesome!' Distinguished Women in Wine Luncheon at Fort Bend County's The Grand Wine and Food Affair.
Morning Glory Muffins
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Line 12 regular-size muffin cups with paper baking cups. Spray bottoms only of baking cups with cooking spray or oil mister. (Muffins will stick if baking cups are not sprayed.)
- In a medium bowl, mix cereal and soy milk (you may crush your cereal in a resealable food storage plastic bag with a rolling pin if you prefer a smoother texture.) Add the apple, carrot, coconut, oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, flaxseed meal, Sucanat, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and egg replacer. Add the carrot-apple mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove muffins from pan to cooling rack. Serve warm with a little Earth Balance Margarine.
- 1 cup high-fiber cereal (such as Nature’s Path Optimum ZEN in Cranberry Ginger)
- 2/3 cup vanilla soy milk (or plain non-dairy milk with 1 tsp vanilla added)
- 3/4 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or flaxseed meal
- 3/4 cup Wholesome! Organic Sucanat
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- scant tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup egg replacer (try Ener-G brand)