Mulled Wine Cranberry Pie
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Move oven rack to middle position. Measure 2 tbsp honey into small bowl and set aside.
- Bring remaining honey and wine to a boil in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat. Stir in cranberries, apples, cinnamon, allspice and cloves; return to boiling.
- Cook cranberry mixture for 6 to 8 minutes or until most of the cranberries burst. Whisk orange juice with cornstarch in small bowl; stir into cranberry filling. Cook for 3 to 4 more minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in orange zest and vanilla. Set aside to cool completely. Fold in dried cranberries.
- Fit one pie crust into 9-inch pie plate. Scrape cranberry filling into prepared crust. Dot with butter. Cut remaining crust into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Arrange strips over filling, weaving to create a lattice design. Trim and seal edges. Beat egg with 1 tbsp water; brush over pastry.
- Place pie on prepared baking sheet. Bake for for 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350ºF and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Brush pastry with reserved honey. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Complement the juiciness of the cranberries and the rich flavors of the spices with a fruity red wine such as Merlot.
Kick the decadence factor up a notch by serving this with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup Wholesome Organic Honey, divided
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 12 oz frozen or fresh cranberries
- 2 baking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 package refrigerated rolled pie crust
- 2 tbsp unsalted cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten