Any-Occasion Chocolate Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Using electric mixer, beat together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at time, until smooth and combined. Stir in melted chocolate.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; fold into butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of buttermilk. Divide batter evenly between two greased and parchment paper–lined 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on rack.
- Spread 3/4 cup frosting over top of one cake. Place remaining cake round over top, pressing gently to adhere. Spread remaining frosting over top.
- This classic cake batter can also be baked into 24 standard-size cupcakes or a 13- x 9-inch cake pan. Adjust baking times accordingly.
- Decorate to celebrate any occasion: sliced strawberries, sugared berries, chocolate-covered espresso beans or shaved chocolate curls.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup packed Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 jar (12.5 oz) Wholesome Organic Chocolate Frosting