Any-Occasion White Cake
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. In bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; using electric mixer, beat in butter until mixture is crumbly. In separate bowl, whisk together milk, egg whites and vanilla until combined; beat into flour mixture alternately with sugar, in batches, beating at high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until batter is smooth and thickened.
- Divide batter evenly between two greased and parchment paper–lined 9-inch round cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on rack.
- Spread 1 cup frosting over top of one cake. Place remaining cake round over top, pressing gently to adhere. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides.
- This classic cake batter can also be baked into 24 standard-size cupcakes or a 13- x 9-inch cake pan. Adjust baking times accordingly.
- Decorate to celebrate any occasion: sliced strawberries, sugared berries, chocolate-covered espresso beans or shaved chocolate curls.
- 2 1/3 cups cake-and-pastry flour, sifted
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 jars (12.5 oz each) Wholesome Organic Vanilla Frosting