Strawberry Shortcake Skewers
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using pastry cutter or fingertips, work butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk buttermilk with 1 egg. Stir into flour mixture until ragged dough forms. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Knead gently 10 times and pat into 3/4-inch thick rectangle.
- Cut dough into 12 rounds using 1 1/2-inch cookie cutter. Transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheets, spacing biscuits 2 inches apart. Whisk remaining egg with 1 tsp water; brush over tops of biscuits. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 12 to 15 minutes or until biscuits are golden and flaky. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.
- Spread frosting over biscuit and strawberry halves. Split biscuits in half. Thread 1 skewer with 2 biscuit and 2 strawberry halves, alternating them. Repeat to make 12 skewers.
- Biscuits can be made in advance in frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw and split before skewering.
- If desired, substitute Wholesome Organic Vanilla Frosting for Wild White Strawberry Frosting.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 tbsp Wholesome Organic Turbinado Raw Cane Sugar
- 2/3 cup Wholesome Organic Wild White Strawberry Frosting
- 12 large strawberries, halved