Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg are the entrepreneurial sisters behind Spork Foods, the most popular vegan cooking school in California. They offer people all over the world the opportunity to take their innovative and fun cooking classes through their membership-based website, Sporkonline.com. Quickly becoming the go-to girls on the future of vegan cuisine, Jenny and Heather are regular contributors to VegNews Magazine and the recipients of a prestigious Veggie Award. The Spork sisters have been featured in The Los Angeles Times and other leading print publications, and have appeared on television as cooking instructors to the stars. Their first cookbook, Spork-Fed, is currently out in stores with a foreword by fellow sisters and fans, Emily and Zooey Deschanel.
Jenny and Heather feel like twins, separated by three years. They both became committed vegans while studying Environmental Studies in college. Jenny also trained at the Natural Gourmet Institute for Food and Culinary Arts in New York City and has over five years of professional cooking experience. Heather has a decade of business management experience in the environmental non-profit world. They reside in Los Angeles, and take a sister trip every year for inspiration.
Vegan Mini Apple Pie with Bourbon Caramel
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine apples, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, maple syrup, Wholesome! Organic Cane Sugar, lemon juice, sea salt and arrowroot powder and mix together until uniform and well coated. Set aside.
- Cut puff pastry sheet into 4 squares and add about 3 tablespoons filling to each square. Pull up all edges to close to create bundle shape, leaving small hole in center. Tie bundle with twine in a bow, if desired, or just twist to seal. Place bundles on baking sheet, lined with a silpat or parchment.
- Bake for about 26-28 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling in the center.
- Meanwhile, for the caramel: Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add buttery spread, Wholesome! Organic Light Brown Sugar, Wholesome! Organic Coconut Palm Sugar and whisk to combine. Add bourbon and soymilk creamer and cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, until caramel is dark and sugar is dissolved.
- To serve, place mini pie on small plate and untie twine bow (if necessary). Drizzle each serving plate and top of each pie with caramel.
Recipe by: © Spork Foods, 2013
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1 small honey crisp or pink lady apple, small dice
- 1 small granny smith apple, small dice
- ½ teaspoon ground Vietnamese cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Wholesome! Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 2 sheets non-hydrogenated puff pastry (like Aussie), thawed
- Caramel Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated buttery spread (like Earth Balance)
- ¼ cup Wholesome! Organic Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Wholesome! Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3-4 tablespoons organic soymilk creamer