Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg are the entrepreneurial sisters behind Spork Foods, the most popular vegan cooking school in California. They offer people all over the world the opportunity to take their innovative and fun cooking classes through their membership-based website, Sporkonline.com. Quickly becoming the go-to girls on the future of vegan cuisine, Jenny and Heather are regular contributors to VegNews Magazine and the recipients of a prestigious Veggie Award. The Spork sisters have been featured in The Los Angeles Times and other leading print publications, and have appeared on television as cooking instructors to the stars. Their first cookbook, Spork-Fed, is currently out in stores with a foreword by fellow sisters and fans, Emily and Zooey Deschanel.
Jenny and Heather feel like twins, separated by three years. They both became committed vegans while studying Environmental Studies in college. Jenny also trained at the Natural Gourmet Institute for Food and Culinary Arts in New York City and has over five years of professional cooking experience. Heather has a decade of business management experience in the environmental non-profit world. They reside in Los Angeles, and take a sister trip every year for inspiration.
Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake With Gingersnap Crust
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Place gingersnaps, almonds, ginger, oil, Wholesome! Organic Light Brown Sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sea salt in a food processor and pulse until uniform, about 20 – 25 times.
- Grease a spring form pan and even out crust, using damp hands or a measuring cup. Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- In a food processor, add cream cheese, Wholesome! Organic Cane Sugar, pumpkin, spices, flour, lemon juice, oil and sea salt. Blend until uniform. You can also whisk with a hand blender.
- Pour filling into baked crust and tap mixture a few times to release any bubbles. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until mixture looks slightly browned on top is slightly solidified.
- Allow cheesecake to cool on the counter for at least 20 minutes and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before serving.
Recipe By: © Spork Foods, 2010
- Crust Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups organic vegan gingersnap cookies (about 24 cookies)
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons neutral tasting oil
- ¼ cup Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Pumpkin Filling Ingredients:
- 2 containers non-hydrogenated vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 can organic pumpkin (15 oz)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unbleached organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon neutral tasting oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt