At Wholesome, one of the reasons we love baking is because of the community it brings together. We believe that we are stronger together and there is no better way to build connections like baking and sharing food.
We are so thankful for the community we have been able to build through a shared love of ethical, high-quality ingredients, and we are inspired by all of the bakers who share their stories with us. That’s why we have decided to shine the spotlight on some of the incredible members of the Wholesome community. This week we are excited to spotlight an amazing baker: Shanika a.k.a Orchids + Sweet Tea!
Shanika is a self-taught baker and cook, who creates and shares original recipes on her blog, Orchids + Sweet Tea. Her love for food developed during her teenage years, when she began experimenting in the kitchen to branch out from the traditional Jamaican meals that were served in her home. Once she mastered the basics, she discovered that she loved trying new things and seeing what she was able to come up with in the kitchen.
Now, the recipes that she shares on her blog are a combination of old favorites and new discoveries. Shanika is inspired by her Southern roots and Jamaican background and loves to revisit her childhood favorites, often passed down to her from her grandparents, aunts and uncles. In addition to these recipes, Shanika enjoys experiments to create new bold dishes that feature exciting flavors and intricate combinations.
We’ve chosen one of our favorite recipes that Shanika has created to share with you all! This Creamy Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge is a healthier take on delicious traditional Jamaican recipe and includes a boldly sweet flavor and beautiful texture.
Creamy Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge
- 1 cup Yellow Cornmeal, thickly cut grains
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 cups Almond milk
- 1 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of all spice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 Tbsp organic brown sugar
- Start by adding the water and Almond milk to a large saucepan on medium-high heat, bringing it to a boil (about 4-5 minutes or so).
- Gradually whisk in cornmeal (ensuring that lumps are prevented), until all cornmeal is incorporated.
- Reduce the heat to low, covering the pot and allowing cornmeal to simmer and thicken, about 15 minutes. NOTE: Be sure to whisk every few minutes to further prevent lumps.
- Once thick (meaning that cornmeal has swelled and cooked through), remove pot lid and whisk in vanilla extract, brown sugar, sea salt, condensed milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pinch of all spice, until all ingredients are fully incorporated and porridge becomes creamy.
- Remove from heat and serve in prepared bowl(s). Top with toasted pecans and fresh berries of choice, if desired.
- Bon Appetite!