Asian Braised Beef Tacos
- Preheat oven to 250°F degrees.
- Fabricate the beef into two inch cubes and pat dry with a paper towel. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven, to smoking point and sear the meat in a single layer in batches; turning to brown all sides. Remove meat and set aside.
- Sauté the garlic in the same pot, then add both soy sauces and Organic Light Brown Sugar. Stir to dissolve the Organic Cane Sugar and simmer for a few minutes. Add in the beef, water, and the rest of the spices and bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the cornstarch slurry and boil for another few minutes. Skim the surface of any fat if needed.
- Cover the Dutch oven with its lid and braise in the oven until fork tender, about 4-5 hours.
- While the meat is cooking, make the pickled onions by combining all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- To make the sesame slaw, combine the sesame dressing and Organic Blue Agave in a large mixing bowl. Toss in the shredded cabbage and coat evenly.
- When the beef is cooked, remove from the pot and shred with a fork. Strain the braising liquid. Place the shredded meat in a holding container and add some braising liquid to keep it moist and discard the rest.
- Heat the corn tortillas on a flat top grill, and keep warm.
- To assemble, place 1.5-2oz of shredded meat in the center of the warmed corn tortilla. Top with the sesame slaw, pickled red onions and sprigs of cilantro.
Recipe Yield: 48 servings (Large Size Recipe intended for catering or foodservice occasions. Cut recipe in half for smaller yield.)
Recipe Source: Chef Tanya Duyongco
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 lbs beef chuck roll trimmed of fat
- 24 garlic cloves (smashed)
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 2 cups low sodium soy sauce
- 3 cups Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 10 pieces star anise
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp cornstarch diluted in 2 tbsp water
- 96 corn tortillas
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- For Pickled Onions:
- 2 large red onions (julienned)
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 tbsp Tabasco Sauce
- For Sesame Slaw:
- 2 whole cabbage heads (shredded)
- 1 cup sesame dressing
- 2 tbsp Wholesome Organic Blue Agave