Banana Cake with Coconut Cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line an 8-inch loose bottomed cake tin.
- To make coconut cream, fix the whisk attachment (or blade) in the food processor and process the creamed coconut and very hot water until smooth. Add the cream and organic powdered sugar and process on pulse until lightly whipped. Transfer to a bowl and chill until ready to use.
- To make the cake, fix the large glade attachment in the food processor there is no need to wash out the bowl after making the topping. Add the bananas and process until mashed. Add all the remaining cake ingredients except the pecans and process on pulse until well combined. Add the pecans and process until just roughly chopped.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and level the surface with the back of a flat knife. Bake for 1-1 1/4 hours until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool, remove from the tin, peel off the lining paper and transfer to a serving plate ready to serve or decorate. Spoon the coconut cream over the top and sides of the cake to cover.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- To make the coconut shavings, remove the flesh from a fresh coconut and peel into thin strips using a swivel-head peeler. If you can’t get hold of a fresh coconut, use dry coconut shavings instead. Toast until pale golden. Cool completely before sprinkling on to the cake. Dust with the organic powdered sugar before serving.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 5 large Fair Trade bananas
- 1 1/4 stick butter, softened
- 2/3 cup pecan halves & pieces
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Wholesome! Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 3 large cage-free organic eggs
- Coconut Cream:
- 1/4 cup block creamed coconut, grated
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp Wholesome! Organic Powdered Sugar, plus extra for dusting
- Toasted coconut shavings, to decorate (optional)