Named 2009s Best Chef at the Houston Culinary Awards, Monica Pope is a 2007 James Beard Award Nominee for Best Chef: Southwest and the owner of Sparrow Bar & Cookshop in Houston. The only Texas woman to ever be named a Top 10 Best New Chef by Food & Wine magazine, Pope first learned to cook from her Czech grandmother and went on to earn her Chefs title from Prue Leiths School of Food and Wine in London.
After working in Europe and San Francisco, Pope returned home to Houston to open her first restaurant, the critically acclaimed The Quilted Toque. Soon after opening her second Houston restaurant, Boulevard Bistro, she garnered national praise from top critical publications including Travel & Leisure, which hailed her one of the most ingenious restaurateurs around. Her latest venture, tafia, has been featured in Gourmet, O: The Oprah Magazine, Bon Appetit, and Fortune. She recently published a digital cookbook, Eat Where Your Food Lives, available at www.ChefMonicaPope.com and is currently working on a cooking memoir entitled Eating Hope (and Other Things Ive Had to Stomach). In 2010 she also competed on Bravo's Top Chef Masters 2.
Black Raspberry Beet Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chocolate and the butter in a saucepan and heat to melt.
- Add the beets and ¼ cup of jam.
- Whisk until smooth and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine eggs and salt and beat the mixture until foamy.
- Add the organic sugar and vanilla whisking until fully incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate and beet mixture and slowly mix in the flour.
- Continue whisking until blended into a batter.
- Pour the batter into a 9 x 13 baking pan. Gently melt the remaining jam without boiling and drizzle over the top of the batter.
- Swirl with a knife into the batter.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownie comes out clean.
- 4 oz. unsweetened Fair Trade chocolate
- 8 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 4 small beets, cooked, peeled, pureed
- 3/4 cup black raspberry jam
- 2 large cage-free organic eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups Wholesome! Organic Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose non-bleached organic flour