Gluten Free Blueberry Banana Spice Cake
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease cake rounds. (see notes for pan sizes to use)
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Flour, organic sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, & spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, coconut milk, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and extract.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients then whisk again, just until combined. Fold in your fresh blueberries.
- Fill each pan evenly and using your spatula, lightly press batter to the edges (GF flour is a little more dense and needs a little more help to spread out in the pan).
- Bake 25-35 minutes depending on cake pan you use or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
For the Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- Beat together the shortening and butter until creamy and fluffy. Add the organic powdered sugar and beat another 3 minutes.
- Add extract then slowly add in the creamer and beat another 5 minutes.
- Unmold each cooled cake.
- For those that are really uneven, use a serrated knife and trim off the top of each cake, making a flatter surface.
- Place 1 cake on stand. Spread a generous amount of frosting on bottom layer, top with another cake and frost again. Continue until every layer is frosted.
- Top with fresh blueberries.
Recipe by: Allergyliciousof
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 mashed organic bananas
- 1 cup refrigerated coconut milk
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh organic blueberries
- For the Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening (Spectrum brand at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free butter
- 2 1/2 cups Wholesome Organic Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp refrigerated coconut milk creamer