Marilu Henner, internationally acclaimed actress, author of seven successful healthy lifestyle and cookery books and the founder of Total Health Makeover (a complete, easy-to-follow life plan that will change the way you look and feel, inside and out) is a devoted advocate of Wholesome!Organic Sucanat.
Sucanat (Sugar Cane Natural) retains the taste and nutrients of sugar cane and is produced without the use of any herbicides, pesticides or chemicals. Sucanat is simply whole cane juice that has been rapidly evaporated and hand-paddled to create a dry, porous, free-flowing organic brown sugar. Sucanat contains 13% molasses and 87% sucrose so it is slightlylower on the glycemic index than regular sugar.
Marilu has been using the gloriously rich Sucanat, which she calls a "legal sugar" for 20 years and it stars in all seven of her recipe books. Marilu's fanstastic brownie recipe from her book PARTY HEARTY, is a must-try and easy to follow recipe.
Marilu traveled to Costa Rica with her co-author and brother, Lorin Henner, and a group of like-minded food enthusiasts to witness first-hand how the Organic Sucanat is produced and to understand why it is fabled as "the World's Healthiest Sugar".
In 2006, Marilu served as the master of ceremonies for Wholesome!' Distinguished Women in Wine Luncheon at Fort Bend County's The Grand Wine and Food Affair.
Vegan Apple Pie
- Make the Pie Crust: In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives used scissor fashion, cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in the ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition, until the dough is just moist enough to hold together.
- Shape the dough into 2 disks, one slightly larger than the other. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight. If chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before rolling.
- Make the Pie: Preheat the oven to 425°F. On a lightly floured surface, with a floured rolling pin, roll the larger disk into a 12-inch round. Roll the dough round gently onto a rolling pin and ease into the pie plate. Trim the edge, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Reserve the trimming for decorating the pie, if you like. Prepare the dough as directed through chilling.
- In a large bowl, combine the organic Sucanat, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add the apples and lemon juice toss to combine.
- Roll out the bottom crust as directed and place it in the pie plate. Spoon the filling into the pie crust plate and dot with the soy margarine. Roll out the top crust as directed, place it on top of the filling, and make a decorative edge.
- Bake 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 375°F. Bake 1 hour more or until the filling is bubbly in the center. If necessary, cover the pie loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Cool the pie on a wire rack 1 hour to serve warm or cool completely to serve later.
Party Hearty by Marilu Henner
Party Hearty by Marilu Henner
- Ingredients for Pie Crust:
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks cold soy margarine, cut up
- 4 to 6 tbsp ice water
- Ingredients for the Pie Filling:
- 2/3 cup Wholesome Organic Sucanat
- 2 tbsp unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3 lbs organic apples (9 medium), peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp soy margarine, cut up