Vegan Brioche Chocolate Swirl
- To make the dough: In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, add the soy milk, canola oil, organic blue agave and orange juice. Then add the orange zest, flour and yeast. Stir on low until well combined (about 2 minutes). Knead the dough on medium (speed 2) for about 5-6 minutes. If kneading by hand, knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Oil a glass bowl and place the dough in the bowl, turning once to make sure dough is lightly coated with the oil. Cover with a cloth or plastic, and set aside in a warm place to rise for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 and a half hours or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into the dough, if an indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.) Punch down the dough and divide into two pieces. Roll each piece out to a 21 x 9 rectangle.
- Make the filling: Mix all filling ingredients in a medium bowl. Spread half of the prepared filling over each rolled-out rectangle of dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border along one of the long edges of each rectangle.
Starting from the edge with the filling, roll up each piece of dough in a jelly-roll style. Wet your fingers with little water and go along the border of each roll and seal. Once the two rectangles are filled and rolled, place the two pieces next to each other and twist them together forming a rope, carefully stretch the rope to about 22 inches long. Loop the rope in a greased nonstick 9-inch springform pan. Gently press the ends together to seal with a little water.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 35-40 minutes to let rise again and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake the brioche for 22 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. While hot, brush with 1 tablespoon of the organic light corn syrup, until the top is fully covered. Put the brioche back in the oven for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack, with a help of a knife, go around the edge to loosen the brioche from the pan and turn onto a wire rack, brush the top with the remainder of the corn syrup. Cool completely before slicing. The brioche can be kept at room temperature, wrapped in plastic, up to 3 days.
- For the dough:
- 1 cup lukewarm soy milk
- 6 tbsp canola oil
- 5 tbsp Wholesome Organic Blue Agave
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- Grated zest of one orange
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Rapid Rise active dry yeast
- For the filling:
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup Wholesome Organic Light Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsp Fair Trade dark cocoa powder
- For the topping:
- 2 tbsp Wholesome Organic Light Corn Syrup