Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg are the entrepreneurial sisters behind Spork Foods, the most popular vegan cooking school in California. They offer people all over the world the opportunity to take their innovative and fun cooking classes through their membership-based website, Sporkonline.com. Quickly becoming the go-to girls on the future of vegan cuisine, Jenny and Heather are regular contributors to VegNews Magazine and the recipients of a prestigious Veggie Award. The Spork sisters have been featured in The Los Angeles Times and other leading print publications, and have appeared on television as cooking instructors to the stars. Their first cookbook, Spork-Fed, is currently out in stores with a foreword by fellow sisters and fans, Emily and Zooey Deschanel.
Jenny and Heather feel like twins, separated by three years. They both became committed vegans while studying Environmental Studies in college. Jenny also trained at the Natural Gourmet Institute for Food and Culinary Arts in New York City and has over five years of professional cooking experience. Heather has a decade of business management experience in the environmental non-profit world. They reside in Los Angeles, and take a sister trip every year for inspiration.
Vegan Pecan Spelt Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To create topping, pulse Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar, pecans, buttery spread, spelt flour, cinnamon and sea salt in a food processor, or mix by hand. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or electric mixer, cream together buttery spread and Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar. Add maple syrup, sour cream and vanilla extract and whip until uniform.
- In a large bowl, combine spelt flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flax seeds. Whisk to incorporate.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth. Add the apple cider vinegar and whisk.
- Spread batter in either an angel food pan, or an 8 x 8 baking dish. Sprinkle topping over batter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe By: © Spork Foods, 2008
- Topping Ingredients:
- ¼ cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- ½ cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated buttery spread
- 2 tablespoons organic spelt flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash sea salt
- Cake Ingredients:
- ¾ cup non-hydrogenated buttery spread, room temperature
- 2/3 cup Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup vegan non-hydrogenated sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic spelt flour
- ½ cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon ground golden flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar