Jenny Engel and Heather Goldberg are the entrepreneurial sisters behind Spork Foods, the most popular vegan cooking school in California. They offer people all over the world the opportunity to take their innovative and fun cooking classes through their membership-based website, Sporkonline.com. Quickly becoming the go-to girls on the future of vegan cuisine, Jenny and Heather are regular contributors to VegNews Magazine and the recipients of a prestigious Veggie Award. The Spork sisters have been featured in The Los Angeles Times and other leading print publications, and have appeared on television as cooking instructors to the stars. Their first cookbook, Spork-Fed, is currently out in stores with a foreword by fellow sisters and fans, Emily and Zooey Deschanel.
Jenny and Heather feel like twins, separated by three years. They both became committed vegans while studying Environmental Studies in college. Jenny also trained at the Natural Gourmet Institute for Food and Culinary Arts in New York City and has over five years of professional cooking experience. Heather has a decade of business management experience in the environmental non-profit world. They reside in Los Angeles, and take a sister trip every year for inspiration.
Vegan Peppermint Cream Cheese Chocolate Bark
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler, or heat-proof bowl over a small pot filled with 1 inch water.
- Allow chocolate chips to melt about 2-3 minutes, folding mixture occasionally. When chocolate is melted add ½ teaspoon peppermint flavor and sea salt, transfer to an 8 inch baking dish lined with wax paper. Place in refrigerator to firm up for about half an hour.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk vegan cream cheese, Wholesome Organic Powdered Sugar and ¼ teaspoon peppermint flavor, until uniform. Evenly spread onto firmed chocolate, creating a smooth cream cheese layer. Sprinkle with crushed Wholesome Organic Candy Canes.
- Transfer to refrigerator for about 1 hour to overnight to firm up. Remove from baking dish and cut into uneven pieces with a knife and serve right away.
Recipe by: Spork Foods, ©2013
- 1 ½ cups dark chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon, plus ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tub (8 oz) vegan non-hydrogenated cream cheese
- 1 ¼ cup Wholesome Organic Powdered Sugar
- ¼ cup crushed Wholesome Organic Candy Canes