Vegan Walnut Chili
- Heat oil in Dutch oven set over medium-high heat; cook mushrooms, and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper for 5 to 8 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Stir in onion, celery, red pepper, jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, thyme, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, chili flakes, cinnamon and remaining salt and pepper; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion starts to soften.
- Stir in crumbled soy meat, walnuts and tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, coffee, 1/4 cup water, Allulose Liquid Sweetener, vinegar and cocoa; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 35 to 45 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide among bowls; top with avocado and cilantro.
- For a spicier chili, serve with thinly sliced fresh jalapeño, serrano or habanero peppers.
- Serving suggestions: Serve chili with cauliflower rice; as a filling for burritos made with low-carb tortillas or with scrambled tofu for easy vegan huevos rancheros.
Makes: 4 Servings
Nutrition Facts: Per 1/4 recipe, Calories 480, Fat 28g, Saturated Fat 3g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 960mg, Carbohydrate 38g, Fiber 13g, Sugars 14g, Protein 26g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb cremini or button mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper, divided use
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded & diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 12 oz crumbled soy meat
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup Wholesome Allulose Liquid Sweetener
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled & sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped