Pan Seared Salmon with Fresh Grapefruit Gastrique
- Fabricate salmon into 6.5oz fillets and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Combine the grapefruit juice, rice vinegar, Organic Blue Agave, Organic Honey, black peppercorns and star anise in a heavy bottom saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer until the mixture is reduced by half.
- Whisk the seafood glace into the reduced gastrique until smooth and simmer for another few minutes to incorporate all the flavors then season with salt and pepper.
- Cut butter in small cubes, take the gastrique off the heat and whisk in the butter a few pieces at a time until fully emulsified. Check seasoning, and add more salt and pepper to taste. Set the gastrique aside.
- Heat a large pan with a little bit of oil and sear the salmon in batches to a golden brown, adding more oil as needed. Flip it on the other side and finish cooking the salmon to a medium.
- To assemble. Gently ladle the gastrique onto the plate and place the seared salmon on top. Garnish with a grapefruit twist and fresh parsley sprigs.
Yield: 48 servings (Large Size Recipe intended for catering or foodservice occasions. Cut recipe in half for smaller yield.)
Recipe Source: Chef Tanya Duyongco
- 20 lbs salmon fillets
- 10 cups fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3 cups rice vinegar
- 4 cups Wholesome! Organic Blue Agave
- 2 cups Wholesome! Organic Honey
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 10 pcs star anise
- 3 tbsp seafood glace or seafood stock
- white pepper
- ½ cup organic unsalted butter
- 1 cup organic olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley