For the crust
3 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 ½ sticks unsalted butter
8 tablespoons ice water
6 ½ cups apples such as Cortland, Granny Smith and Gala, peeled, cored and cut into slices
1 ½ cups packed Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Dark Brown Sugar
¾ cup maple syrup
1 cup dried cherries
6 tablespoons instant tapioca
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon bourbon
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon heavy cream
3 tablespoons Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Turbinado sugar
- To make the crust: Pulse together the flour and salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse.. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the mixture is moist enough to hold together. Form the dough into two balls, one roughly ⅔ of the dough and one ⅓ of the dough. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Lightly flour your work surface and remove the larger piece of dough from the refrigerator. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 9×13 inch rectangle, dusting with flour if needed. Transfer the dough into a 9×13 inch baking dish, pressing it into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- Roll out the remaining smaller piece of dough, dusting with flour if sticking. Use leaves or other fall themed cookie cutters to cut shapes for the top of the pie. Gather dough and reroll the scraps to make more dough for cutouts. Transfer cutouts to the fridge to keep chilled until ready to use.
- To make the filling: Combine the apples, dark brown sugar, maple syrup, dried cherries, instant tapioca, vanilla extract, bourbon, lemon zest and juice, ginger, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. Pour filling into pie crust and dot with butter pieces. Arrange cutouts on top of apple mixture, overlapping pieces slightly and making sure several cutouts touch the sides of the pan. Whisk eggs and cream together and brush over the crust. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees and continue baking until the crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling thickly, another 45-60 minutes. Tent the pie with foil if the crust is getting too dark and the filling isn’t ready. Allow to cool before serving.
Many Wholesome products are qualified to use the following: