For the crust
5 ounces gingersnap cookies
1 cup mixed nuts, such as walnuts and pecans
4 tablespoons of butter, melted
4 tablespoons Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Dark Brown Sugar
12 ounces cranberries, frozen (thawed) or fresh
1 cup Regenerative Organic Certified® Cane Sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
½ cup fresh lime juice
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, cut into cubes
Extra cranberries, lime zest and thyme leaves for topping
Corn syrup and extra sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pulse cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add the nuts and pulse until finely ground. Add butter and brown sugar and pulse to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9 inch pie dish. Press firmly onto the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Bake until firm and slightly darkened in color, about 15 minutes. If the crust slides down, carefully press back up and let cool.
- For the filling: Bring the cranberries, 1 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup water to a boil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Let mixture simmer until cranberries burst and most of the liquid evaporates, 10-12 minutes. Let cool; then puree in a blender until smooth.
- Cook cranberry puree, brown sugar, eggs, egg yolks, salt, lime zest and juice in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir with a rubber spatula, scraping down the sides of the bowl often, until curd thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat curd, adding butter a piece at a time and incorporating after each addition, until curd looks lighter in color, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape into the crust and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- For the topping: Roll extra cranberries in a tablespoon of corn syrup and dry on a wire rack. Toss the cranberries with granulated sugar.
- Serve on top of pie with lime zest and fresh mint.
Many Wholesome products are qualified to use the following: