1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
¼ cup plain yogurt
3-4 tablespoons ice water
3 cups berries or other fruit, such as pears, stone fruit or apples, sliced
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of salt
Juice and grated zest from ½ lemon
1/4 cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
2 tablespoons Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Raw Unfiltered Honey
1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 egg, beaten
Wholesome Regenerative Organic Certified® Turbinado Cane Sugar for sprinkling
Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Raw Unfiltered Honey for drizzling
How to Make the Crust
- In a food processor pulse together the flour, salt, and sugar. Add the butter, and pulse a few times. Add in yogurt and cold water, and pulse until the mixture starts to come together but is mostly large crumbs. Do not over-process! You want pea sized chunks of butter in the dough.
- Put dough on a lightly floured surface and bring together. Flatten into a disc and wrap in plastic; chill for 2 hours.
How to Make Filling
- Combine fruit, cinnamon, ginger, salt, citrus, sugar, honey and cornstarch in a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, roll the dough out into a round-ish shape, about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer the dough onto a cookie sheet.
- Spoon fruit filling and any accompanying juices into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border uncovered. Fold the border over the fruit, pleating the edge to make it fit.
- Brush the egg over the crust and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the filling bubbles and the crust is golden. Cool for at least 20 minutes on a wire rack. Drizzle honey on top to serve.
Many Wholesome products are qualified to use the following: