3 ¾ cup all purpose Flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 ¼ cup Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raspberry jam
Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- In a medium bowl whisk together the all purpose flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until pale and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the eggs one at a time, and beat each one into the mixture. Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine, continuing to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to incorporate any batter.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or for up to 3 days.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Working with only one disc at a time, roll out the dough on a piece of parchment paper until it is ⅛ inch thick.
- Using an assortment of cookie cutters, cut the dough into shapes and transfer to parchment lined baking sheets. Gather, re-roll and cut any dough scraps until you have used it all. Cut a small shape into half of the cookies (so each cookie shape has a match with its counter). These will be the top cookies.
- Bake cookies on parchment lined trays spaced 1.5 inches apart for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To assemble, sprinkle the top cookies with confectioners sugar. Turn the bottom cookies so that their flat side is facing up. Dollop a scant teaspoon of jam onto the center of each cookie and spread it out. Top with a sugar dusted cutout cookie. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Many Wholesome products are qualified to use the following: